FocusMax V4 is the the premier standalone auto-focusing software solution for thousands of professional and amateur astronomer’s worldwide! It is routinely used for automated asteroid and supernova searches, minor planet astrometry, variable star photometry, deep sky imaging, and more. Version 4 adds new features and capabilities to this already widely-accepted automatic focusing standard.
- New focusing method that samples the star on both sides of with dynamic focus algorithm that adapts to varying seeing conditions to assure focus is placed within the Critical Focus Zone (CFZ).
- FocusMax works seamlessly with MaxImDL v5 and V6, CCDSoft V5, and TheSkyX Professional Camera Add On. (More platforms coming.)
- Automated focus star selection with either TheSkyX or PinPoint. Simply press a button and FocusMax will plate solve the current location, slew to a suitable focus star, center the focus star, initiate the focus routine and precisely return to the original plate solved starting coordinates.
- It can work with two independent cameras and focusers across 1 or 2 camera platforms.
- The user can specify initial exposure times for each filter and the time will be automatically adjusted to achieve a suitable star flux for precise focusing.
- Greatly improved user interface with consolidated windows to reduce screen clutter. Customizable "soft buttons" to easily move to any main function window. Even colors and shapes are customizable!
- Powerful, yet easy-to-use statistical tools and graphs for analyzing V-curves and temperature compensation data.
- Real time temperature compensation for 2 active focusers using the all new FocusMax temperature compensation methods or standard driver.
- Improved First Light wizard for collecting V-curve system data.
- Improved temperature compensation wizards using plate solving for automatic star selection.
The paper that started it all from the 2001 Imaging The Sky conference: Fast Auto-Focus Method and Software for CCD-based Telescopes.
How to use FocusMax: Tutorial
- Multiple precision focusing algorithms
- New dynamic focusing algorithm that adapts to seeing conditions
- Interfaces with TheSkyX Camera Add On, MaxIm DL and CCDSoft (more coming)
- Autofocus support for 2 cameras, 2 focusers across 2 imaging platforms
- Automatically find and acquire suitable focus stars with TheSkyX Professional Image Link and PinPoint
- Customizable, intuitive user interface.
- Improved wizards to automate V-curve collection and temperature compensation data.
- Ability to load and run custom scripts.